This quick and easy protein powder mug cake is healthy, loaded with protein, and tastes like a gooey piece of chocolate cake. Top with a little whip cream and some berries for a perfect little treat.
Protein powder mug cake is the perfect way to get some added protein into your day while curbing that sweet tooth. It can easily be made gluten free or vegan depending on which protein, flour and egg you use.
If you find yourself looking for some other healthier recipes you should also try my chocolate peanut butter protein shake. I love topping it with some of my easy almond coconut granola. Or you could try my banana carrot muffins, that are loaded with fruit and veggies.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS
QUICK & EASY- This mug cake can be made in about 2-3 minutes time with just a little bit of mixing.
LOADED WITH PROTEIN- You can find yourself extra full with with over 30 grams of protein.
NO OVEN OR MIXING BOWLS REQUIRED- I love that all this takes is a large mug and a microwave to enjoy a delicious treat!
- Milk- I like to use cashew milk for this, but you are welcome to use whatever you prefer or have on hand.
- Egg- I use one regular egg, or sometimes just egg whites, but flax egg can also be used to make it vegan.
- Protein Powder- I always use Clean Simple Eats protein powder, which is a whey protein. Use whatever you like or have on hand.
- Sugar- You can use any sugar or sugar substitute.
- Flour- I use coconut flour for this, but most flours should be okay.
- Chocolate Chips- Not necessary, but highly recommended.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
STEP ONE: Wet Ingredients. In a microwave safe large mug or cereal bowl whisk together milk, egg and vanilla until blended.
STEP TWO: Dry Ingredients. Add protein powder, cocoa powder, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt and mix again until no large clumps are left. Add chocolate chips if desired.
STEP THREE: Cook. Microwave for 50-60 seconds, depending on your microwave. I watch mine and stop it about 50 seconds, when it is starting to reach maximum height. You can put it back in for another 10 seconds, until just the top still looks a little wet in the middle. Allow to cool slightly.
This can be made with all different flavors of protein powder. You can also add different extracts to give it a boost of flavors.
Feel free to add more or less sugar depending on how sweet your protein powder is and your preference. You can also sub in alternative sugars.
When in doubt, err on the side of undercooking your mug cake. You don't want to dry it out and it will continue to cook and set as it cools.
I used a whey protein, but most all should work. Just watch for any dietary restrictions when needed.
It could be because your mug was too small to hold all the ingredients. Make sure that before cooking the mug is no more than half full with batter.
Yes! The egg and flour is fine being cooked in the microwave, just make sure that it isn't too gooey.
HOW TO STORE
A protein powder mug cake is best eaten when fresh, the day of. If you want to save some, store it covered in the fridge, and then reheat in the microwave just until warm.
OTHER CHOCOLATE RECIPES TO TRY
For more yummy treats follow me on instagram @thesaltedsweets. And be sure to tag me and comment below if you make them and love them as much as I do.
Make sure to leave a star review below!
Protein Powder Mug Cake
- ¼ cup milk I use cashew
- 1 large egg can also use 46g egg whites or flax egg
- splash of vanilla
- 1 scoop protein powder (30ish grams) I use clean simple eats chocolate
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon flour I use coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips optional
- In a microwave safe large mug or cereal bowl whisk together milk, egg and vanilla until blended.
- Add protein powder, cocoa powder, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt and mix again until no large clumps are left.
- Top with chocolate chips if desired.
- Microwave for 50-60 seconds, depending on your microwave. I watch mine and stop it about 50 seconds, when it is starting to reach maximum height. You can put it back in for another 10 seconds, until just the top still looks a little wet in the middle.
- Allow to cool slightly before topping.