THE EASIEST HOMEMADE LEMON BARS
While I love a good chocolate dessert, these easy homemade lemon bars are a close second. The minute I start to feel spring in the air I begin craving all sorts of fruity dessert, and these lemon bars are at the top of my list every year. They are so simple to make with only a few ingredients.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN REGULAR AND MEYER LEMONS
The main difference between regular lemons, generally Eureka or Lisbon, and Meyer lemons is the amount of tart versus sweetness to the lemon.
Meyer lemons look is a little more round, with a thinner skin. The taste is also a little more subtle, therefore giving off a more sweet and less tart taste to them. Their season is usually late Fall through early Spring.
While either lemon would work fine in this recipe, I generally prefer a regular lemon because I love the tart taste that it gives in these bars. But whatever you got on hand is great.
HOW TO MAKE THESE EASY LEMON BARS
These lemon bars are super simple to make and come together really quick. The most time consuming part is just waiting for them to bake!
MAKE THE SHORTBREAD CRUST FOR THE BOTTOM OF THE BARS
Using either a mixer or a pastry cutter, combine flour, powdered sugar, butter and salt. I look for it to form little pea sized balls when coming together. Press into a 9x13 pan.
BAKE THE CRUST
Bake the crust for about 26-28 minutes. You want the crust to get a light golden brown around the edges.
MIX FILLING TOGETHER
While the crust is baking we can get the filling ready. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until they are a light yellow color. Add sugar, flour and baking powder and blend. Add lemon juice and zest and stir together once more.
When the crust is done baking, pour the filling onto the warm crust and return to the oven for a second round of baking for about 25-30 minutes.
Sprinkle or sift some powdered sugar on top once completely cooled. Cut and enjoy.
For more yummy treats follow me on instagram @thesaltedsweets. And be sure to tag me and comment below if you make them and love them as much as I do.
Easy Homemade Lemon Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup lemon juice, about 1-2 lemons
- zest from a lemon
- powdered sugar for topping
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, fitted with a paddle attachment, combine flour, powdered sugar, butter and salt. Beat at a low speed until crumbly. I look for little pea sized balls of dough coming together.
- Press mixture evenly along the bottom of a 9x13 pan. No need to grease it, the butter will do that work for us. Bake for 26-28 minutes, or until lightly golden brown around the edges. While the crust is baking prepare the filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until they are a lighter yellow color, about 30 seconds. Add sugar, flour, and baking powder and blend well. Stir in lemon juice and zest.
- When the crust is done baking, pour the filling over the warm crust. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes, until the top has a light golden brown over most of it. You want to make sure they are fully cooked. Leave to cool completely.
- Once cooled, I like to sift powdered sugar along the top. I prefer to chill my bars. I find them easier to have a clean cut that way, and also like the taste of the lemony filling cold.