Old fashioned peanut butter pie is a creamy pie using both peanut butter and cream cheese for a light texture. Topped like an amish peanut butter pie with peanut butter crumbles and salt, for a little extra pop.
This old fashioned peanut butter pie is my mash up of the soft and creamy peanut butter filling mixed with the amish peanut butter pie that uses peanut butter crumbles that I love. It's loaded with peanut butter flavor, while still feeling light and fresh.
If you're a peanut butter lover you should also try my small batch peanut butter cookies, peanut butter blossom cookies, or my peanut butter marshmallow brownies.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS
SIMPLE TO MAKE- With the crumble topping this is a pretty easy pie to make. No lattice work required.
BASIC INGREDIENTS- This pie uses all basic ingredients that are staples, and can easily be made using a store bought pie crust and cool whip.
LOADED WITH PEANUT BUTTER- Between the peanut butter in the pie filling and the peanut butter crumbles this is a peanut butter lovers dream.
- Pie Crust- My perfect flaky pie crust recipe has step by step instructions to help make it easy. Or feel free to buy a pre-made to save on time.
- Peanut Butter- Make sure this isn't an all natural peanut butter or it won't have the same stability.
- Cream Cheese- Make sure it's room temperature for easy mixing.
- Whipping Cream- I made my own, but you could also use cool whip.
- Flaked Sea Salt- I love having a little bit of salt with the sweetness of the pie, but you are welcome to skip that part.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
STEP ONE: Make or buy a 9-inch pie crust in advance. Blind bake and cool.
STEP TWO: In a medium bowl mix together peanut butter, cream cheese, salt and powdered sugar until smooth.
STEP THREE: In a mixing bowl with the whisk attachment, whisk whipping cream on high until stiff peaks are formed. Fold half the whipping cream into the peanut butter mixture, followed by the second half.
STEP FOUR: Scoop peanut butter mixture into pie crust and allow to set and firm up for at least 2 hours. I like to let mine sit overnight.
STEP FIVE: In a small bowl mix together 2 tablespoon peanut butter with ¼ cup powdered sugar with a fork until it forms a crumble. Top chilled pie with whip cream, peanut butter crumbles and a little flaked salt.
I like to use a pie crust shield for my crust so that my edges do not get too crisp. You can place it on to start, or watch for it to begin browning and then place it on at desired time.
If you preferred to skip the peanut butter crumbles on top you could top this pie with oreo or nutter butter cookie crumbles, or even chopped up reese's peanut butter cups would be fabulous.
Yes, I love to make my pies ahead of time and set in the fridge until ready to serve.
Yes, the mixture is too soft from mixing and needs to firm up before serving.
Yes, a graham cracker, oreo, biscoff or nutter butter crust would be great with this pie.
Old fashioned peanut butter pie can be stored in either an air tight container, or with plastic wrap on top for 3-4 days in the refrigerator to remain fresh. The crust and crumble will start to soften after the second day a bit, but it's still good.
OTHER POPULAR PIES TO TRY
Pumpkin Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
For more yummy treats follow me on instagram @thesaltedsweets. And be sure to tag me and comment if you make them and love them as much as I do.
And please make sure to leave a star review below!
Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Pie
- 1 pie crust 9"
- 1¼ cups creamy peanut butter not natural
- 6 oz cream cheese room temp
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups whipping cream can also use cool whip
- 2 tablespoon creamy peanut butter for topping
- ¼ cup powdered sugar for topping
- flaked sea salt for topping
- Make or buy a 9-inch pie crust in advance. Blind bake and cool.
- In a medium bowl mix together peanut butter, cream cheese, salt and powdered sugar until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl with the whisk attachment, whisk whipping cream on high until stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold half the whipping cream into the peanut butter mixture, followed by the second half.
- Scoop peanut butter mixture into pie crust and allow to set and firm up for at least 2 hours. I like to let mine sit overnight.
- In a small bowl mix together 2 tablespoon peanut butter with ¼ cup powdered sugar with a fork until it forms a crumble.
- Top chilled pie with whip cream, peanut butter crumbles and a little flaked salt.
Do you think you could make and freeze the filling?
Yes I think that would be fine!
The BEST peanut butter pie recipe. I made this for Thanksgiving day. It was preferred by all over the bakery purchased cake. This is a must try recipe for all peanut butter lovers.
Delicious!! Used an Oreo crust to save time. My sis in law told me it was good several times and made sure some was sent home with her!