Triple chocolate muffins are made with cocoa powder, chocolate chips and white chocolate chips. They are so soft and tender, and loaded with rich chocolate flavor.
These triple chocolate muffins are a chocolate lovers dream. They're so soft and tender and have so much rich chocolate through every single bite.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THESE
LOADED WITH CHOCOLATE- These have 3 different kinds of chocolate in them.
QUICK & EASY- These muffins can be made in less than thirty minutes, perfect for a last minute breakfast or treat!
TENDER CRUMB- The texture of these muffins is so good. They are so moist and soft.
- COCOA POWDER-I used dutch process because it helps give a deeper/richer flavor.
- ESPRESSO POWDER-This will not make your muffins taste like coffee, it is just to enhance to chocolate flavor, but skip if you don't have it on hand.
- COCONUT OIL- Can use another neutral oil if preffered.
- GREEK YOGURT- Can sub with sour cream.
- BUTTERMILK- Buttermilk gives muffins the best rise, but you can also sub with regular milk.
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS- I love having the mix of semi-sweet and white chocolate, but use whatever is your favorite.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
ONE: In a medium size bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
TWO: In a seperate bowl, whisk together coconut oil, brown sugar, and sugar until completely dissolved. Stir in egg, vanilla, yogurt and buttermilk.
THREE: Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
FOUR: Using a ¼ cup cookie scoop, scoop batter into prepared muffin cups. Top with a few additional chocolate chips.
FIVE: Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool in muffin tin for 10 minutes, or until they are cooled enough to take out.
EXPERT BAKING TIPS
This recipe can also be made in a large loaf pan, check after 45-50 minutes to watch for it to be done.
It is best to use room temperature ingredients, so try and pull the yogurt, milk and egg out of the fridge about an hour before if possible.
I have given both cups and grams as measurements. Grams will be more precise, especially when measuring flour. If you don’t have a kitchen scale, no problem! Just lightly spoon flour into your measuring cup to insure its not packed in there. Light and fluffy is the key.
Do not over mix your batter. Lumps are ok in a muffin batter.
The most common reason that muffins don't rise is because your baking powder or baking soda is too old. They should be replaced every six months once opened.
The best way to tell a muffin is done baking is by sticking a toothpick in the middle of the muffin. If it comes out clean, the muffins are done.
STORING AND FREEZING
Triple chocolate muffins should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days to remain fresh. Keep in mind that the tops of the muffins will get soft once in a sealed container.
love freezing my muffins and pulling them out for a quick on the go breakfast. You can store them all together in a large ziplock bag or airtight container, or place them in individual bags so you can grab one every time you want one.
OTHER POPULAR CHOCOLATE RECIPES TO TRY
For more yummy treats follow me on instagram @thesaltedsweets. And be sure to tag me and comment below if you make them and love them as much as I do.
Make sure to leave a star review below!
Triple Chocolate Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder I used dutch process
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil or vegetable oil works fine too
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup plain greek yogurt can also use sour cream
- ¼ cup buttermilk can also use regular milk
- ¾ cup chocolate chips I used mini semi-sweet
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin tins with liners, or spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together coconut oil, brown sugar, and sugar until completely dissolved. Stir in egg, vanilla, yogurt and buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a ¼ cup cookie scoop, scoop batter into prepared muffin cups. Top with a few additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool in muffin tin for about 10 minutes until they are cooled enough to take out.