These EASY baked funfetti donuts are a moist vanilla donut filled with colorful sprinkles and dipped in a sweet vanilla glaze. They’re the perfect celebration donut, or way to make you feel like a kid!
Easy baked funfetti donuts are the perfect way to brighten anyones day with the cute, colorful sprinkles, and the tender, moist donut. They’re so quick and easy to make, and taste so much better than the ones you can buy at the donut shop!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THESE
BAKED, NOT FRIED- No mess involved when you can bake your donuts instead of frying. Not to mention they’re much healthier also.
QUICK & EASY- These donuts are SO easy to make, you can have them made quicker than you could get to and from a donut shop.
MOIST & TENDER- Using both buttermilk and melted butter allows these donuts to be both soft and moist.
- Flour- If possible weigh out your flour, but if you do not have a scale, make sure to fluff it before and spoon it into a measuring cup.
- Melted Butter- Make sure the butter has cooled after melting. You could also use oil if you prefer.
- Egg- Allow to get room temperature before using. If needing to do that quickly, stick in a bowl with room temp water.
- Buttermilk- Not cold from the fridge. Can also use regular milk is needed, the higher the fat content the better.
- Jimmie Sprinkles- These sprinkles are the best to use when baking because they do not bleed color throughout the cake.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Here is how to make these quick and easy donuts!
STEP 1: Preheat oven. Preheat oven to 350 F, and spray a 6 hole donut pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
STEP 2: Dry Ingredients. In a small bowl whisk together flour, sugar, powder and salt until no clumps remain.
STEP 3: Wet Ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk melted butter, egg, buttermilk, and vanilla until combined.
STEP 4: Combine. Add dry ingredient to wet ingredients and stir briefly. Some lumps are still ok. Fold in sprinkles.
STEP 5: Pan. Add batter to a large ziplock or piping bag and fill donut holes with batter. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until you tap the donut and it springs back. Allow to cool in pan.
STEP 6: Glaze. Whisk together powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and salt. Add more powdered sugar and or milk for desired consistency.
STEP 7: Dip. Once donuts are cooled, dip the top of each donut in the glaze and then top with extra sprinkles.
EXPERT BAKING TIPS
To keep these donuts light and fluffy do not over mix the batter. It is ok if there are still some lumps after mixing in the dry ingredients.
The glaze will start to thicken as it sits. Depending on your desired consistency you can always add more powdered sugar or milk to get it as thick or thin as you prefer. I wanted mine to be slightly thicker, but you can have it be a very thin glaze if you like that better.
This recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled to get as many donuts as you desire. If you only have one donut pan allow the donuts to cool slightly before taking out and adding more batter.
The best way to do this is to either store them without the glaze, or if already glazed, store them in a paper bag.
Luckily because these donuts are light you can start to see a golden brown rim around the edge and you will know they are done baking.
The donut pan can be deceiving. Make sure that you are only filling your donut pan 3/4 of the way up as they will rise while baking.
STORING & FREEZING
These easy baked funfetti donuts will remain fresh for 3-4 days at room temperature if stored in an airtight container. But the glaze will start to get soggy. It is best to store donuts before glaze is on them for optimum freshness.
Donuts can either be placed in the freezer before or after glazing. If before, stack and place in an air tight container. If they already have glaze, place on a plate and stick in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to harden the glaze, then you can stack them with a bit of parchment paper in-between each donut.
OTHER DONUT OR SWEET BREAD RECIPES TO TRY
For more yummy treats follow me on instagram @thesaltedsweets. And be sure to tag me and comment below if you make them and love them as much as I do.
Make sure to leave a star review below!
Easy Baked Funfetti Donuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp melted butter cooled
- 1 large egg room temp
- ⅓ cup buttermilk room temp, can also use milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1½ tbsp jimmie sprinkles
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk warmed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F, and spray a 6 hole donut pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, sugar, powder and salt until no clumps remain.
- In a separate bowl whisk melted butter, egg, buttermilk, and vanilla until combined.
- Add dry ingredient to wet ingredients and stir briefly. Some lumps are still ok. Fold in sprinkles.
- Add batter to a large ziplock or piping bag and fill donut holes with batter. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until you tap the donut and it springs back. Allow to cool in pan.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and salt. Add more powdered sugar and or milk for desired consistency.
- Once donuts are cooled, dip the top of each donut in the glaze and then top with extra sprinkles.