Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins are a buttery, soft muffin loaded with fresh blueberries and chocolate chips. Perfect for a quick breakfast or snack!
These Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins are so simple and quick to make, using only one bowl, you can be eating them in about thirty minutes time. They're so moist and fluffy, with the perfect balance of sweet and chocolatey.
If you're looking for other muffin recipes my Cranberry Orange Muffins are also so delicious. Or if you love a healthier muffin with some veggies snuck in, definitely try my Banana Carrot Muffins or my Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THESE
SWEET & TART- I love the flavors that pop through in these muffins with both the blueberries and the chocolate chips.
QUICK & EASY- Only one bowl needed, and about 30 minutes to make from start to finish.
PERFECT GRAB & GO- Muffins are the perfect thing to prep ahead of time for a quick on the go breakfast or snack.
- Butter- Your butter should be melted, but allow it to cool after so it doesn't affect the eggs.
- Buttermilk- You can make your own using 1 tablespoon of vinegar mixed with your milk. Or you can also just use regular milk.
- Greek Yogurt- I used low fat plain, vanilla would work as well.
- Blueberries- Tossing them in the flour will help them not to sink in the muffins.
- Chocolate Chips- I like to use mini when making muffins so you get little bits of chocolate all throughout the muffin.
- Turbinado Sugar- This will give it a nice crunchy texture on the top of the muffin.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper.
STEP TWO: Place melted butter, sugar, eggs, buttermilk and yogurt in a medium size bowl and whisk. Add flour, salt and baking powder and stir until just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX!!!
STEP THREE: Toss blueberries in 1 teaspoon of flour. Gently fold blueberries and chocolate chips into muffin batter.
STEP FOUR: Put ¼ cup muffin batter into each muffin cup. Top with turbinado sugar.
STEP FIVE: Bake for 24-28 minutes, until lightly golden brown on top.
EXPERT BAKING TIPS
I have given both cups and grams as measurements. Grams will be more precise, especially when measuring flour. If you don’t have a kitchen scale, no problem! Just lightly spoon flour into your measuring cup to insure its not packed in there. Light and fluffy is the key.
You can make 24 mini muffins, baking them for about 12-14 minutes. Or you can make 6 jumbo muffins, baking for about 30-34 minutes.
Using fresh blueberries is best, if using frozen rinse them in cold water in a colander to help remove some of the juices. The muffin will still turn more of a blue color due to the frozen berries, but this will help.
To prevent sinking blueberries I suggest tossing the blueberries in a teaspoon of flour before folding them into the batter
I have found that allowing the batter to rest for about 30 minutes after mixing allows the baking powder to activate more. This gives the muffins a higher rise.
Yes, preparing the batter ahead of time for muffins works great. You can prep the batter the night before you want to bake them. Once you're done mixing the dry ingredients cover and place in refrigerator until ready to bake. Fold in blueberries and chocolate chips right before baking. The batter will seem thicker, but it will bake up perfectly.
STORING AND FREEZING
These blueberry chocolate chip muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days while remaining fresh. Keep in mind that the tops of the muffins will start to soften once in a sealed container.
I love freezing my muffins and pulling them out for a quick on the go breakfast. You can store them all together in a large ziplock bag or airtight container, or place them in individual bags so you can grab one every time you want one.
OTHER POPULAR BREAKFAST RECIPES TO TRY
For more yummy treats follow me on instagram @thesaltedsweets. And be sure to tag me and comment if you make them and love them as much as I do.
And please make sure to leave a star review below!
Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temp
- ½ cup buttermilk, regular milk is fine too room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup greek yogurt room temp
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup blueberries tossed in 1 teaspoon flour fresh preferred, but frozen work too
- ½ cup chocolate chips I love mini chips for muffins
- 2 tablespoon turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top of the muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper.
- Place melted butter, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and yogurt in a medium size bowl and whisk. Add flour, salt and baking powder and stir until just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX!!!
- Toss blueberries in 1 teaspoon of flour. Gently fold blueberries and chocolate chips into muffin batter.
- Put ¼ cup muffin batter into each muffin cup. Top with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 24-28 minutes, until lightly golden brown on top.
- Let them cool about 10 minutes before removing from the pan.