These M&M rice krispie treats are sweet, chewy and so easy to make. Loaded with some extra’s like chocolate M&M’s, brown butter, pretzels and salt takes them to a whole new level!
These M&M rice krispie treats are a perfect quick and easy to make treat that everybody can enjoy! Once you try one you’ll never be able to stop making them.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE
Quick & Easy- These can be made in about 15 minutes or less, and they’re easy enough to have kids help out with!
Sweet & Salty- Adding the flaked salt and pretzels helps balance out the sweetness from the marshmallows and chocolate.
Crunchy & Chewy- By adding the pretzels and M&M’s you get some nice crunch alongside the chewy marshmallows.
- Butter- Browning the butter gives these an upgraded flavor without much more work since you’re ready melting the butter in a saucepan.
- Salt- While this isn’t required if you don’t love things salty, the little bit helps balance the sweetness.
- Marshmallows- I prefer to use mini marshmallows because they melt quicker and easier.
- Pretzels- Adding these gives these treats an extra crunch.
- M&M’s- Plain works best because of the size, and the candy coating helps them not to melt when mixed into the warm rice krispies.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Here is how to make these quick and easy treats!
STEP 1: Brown the butter. You’ll take 6 tbsp. of butter and melt in a medium saucepan, and then continue to cook past the point of boiling. You will do this over low-medium heat, past the point of the butter foaming, until it turns a nice golden brown, and has a nutty smell.
STEP 2: Melt marshmallows. Turn off heat and add marshmallows, vanilla and salt to pan and stir until marshmallows are completely melted.
STEP 3: Rice Krispies and Pretzels. Remove from heat and add rice krispies and pretzels and and stir until completely coated. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes to cool down just a bit.
STEP 4: Add M&M’s. Add M&M’s and stir until combined throughout.
STEP 5: Placing in pan to set. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Press down firmly to create and even layer and compact rice krispie treats. Top with a bit more M&M’s, pretzel bits and flaked salt.
STEP 6: Cool. Set aside to allow to set up and cool completely before serving.
EXPERT BAKING TIPS
Using mini marshmallows is best as it allows the marshmallows to melt quicker and more evenly.
I like to use wax paper when pressing on the top of the rice krispie treats, so that they do not stick to my hands or spatula. A firm press will allow the treats to be more compact.
Plain M&M’s work best for these as they are small and have a nice crunch outer shell. When using larger filled M&M’s it makes them harder to cut and eat.
It is important to use fresh, soft marshmallows. When you use ones that are too hard and stale this will affect the texture of your treats.
You should allow your rice krispie treats to cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting. They will not only have a better texture, but will also taste better.
Allowing your rice krispie treats to cool for about 5 minutes before adding the M&M’s will keep them from cracking and melting. You can also store your M&M’s in the fridge before using.
STORING AND FREEZING
M&M rice krispie treats will remain fresh for 3-4 days if stored at room temperature in an air tight container.
Freezing in an air tight container will allow them to remain fresh for 3 months. Allow to come to room temperature before eating.
OTHER RECIPES TO TRY WITH BROWN BUTTER
Make sure to leave a star review below!
For more yummy treats follow me on instagram @thesaltedsweets. And be sure to tag me and comment below if you make them and love them as much as I do.
M&M Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 tbsp butter
- 10 oz mini marshmallows
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp flaked sea salt
- 4 cups rice krispie cereal
- 2 cups pretzels broken up
- ½ cup M&M's plain
- Spray an 8×8, or slightly smaller, pan with cooking spray and set aside. Can also line with parchment paper.
- Start by browning the butter. You'll take 6 tbsp. of butter and melt in a medium saucepan, and then continue to cook past the point of boiling. You will do this over low-medium heat, past the point of the butter foaming, until it turns a nice golden brown, and has a nutty smell. Make sure you are stirring and watching it, because it will turn from perfectly brown to burnt fairly quickly.
- Turn off heat and add marshmallows, vanilla and salt to pan and stir until marshmallows are completely melted.
- Remove from heat and add rice krispies and pretzels and and stir until completely coated. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes to cool down just a bit.
- Add M&M's and stir until combined throughout.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Press down firmly to create and even layer and compact rice krispie treats. Top with a bit more M&M's, pretzel bits and flaked salt.
- Allow to cool/set completely before serving.